Re: Help needed : kernel panic unable to mount root fs

Wed, May 29, 2002 at 10:19:37AM -0000 wrote:
> hi all!!
>
> I am experiencing a tough time as my system had a kernel panic. it
> happened while I was installing openoffice. The system hunged and
> there was no way left other than rebooting & then a kernel panic
> prompt.
>
> I had installed debian testing from floppies & i am not having a
> boot disk.
a boot disk that the install created won't help, your root filesystem
is corrupt.

> I tried to use mkrboot from another system but it is
> also not helping. Can any one tell me how to solve this problem.
> The panic prompt tells try using init= ..... but i am unable to
> find out a soluton. the filesystem(reiserfs) as reprted is
> readonly.

It sounds like your filesystem was corrupted when you got the kernel
panic.  You may not be able to salvage the system without a fair
amount of work.  Some things to try:

- boot into the installer (rescue.bin and root.bin) and manually mount
  the currupted root filesystem.  Try chroot'ing into it and see what
  breaks.  Do you have a working shell?  Maybe install a statically
  linked shell (busybox-static will do the job).

- now that you have a shell working you can boot normally and pass
  init=/bin/sh to the kernel.  This will bypass the normall process of
  starting up userspace with /sbin/init.  The theory is that
  /sbin/init (or a library it depends on) is broken.

- Once you have a shell trying bringing up the network manually, then
  apt-get install --reinstall the broken packages.  That still might
  not work if the dpkg database is too broken.

Good luck,

David