Re: Mac OS X package

Most of the subscribers to debian-powerpc are Mac users, so maybe you should ask there.

I'm not so happy with what I've experienced with OS X installers so far, although maybe it's because the writer of the installer scripts didn't make the effort to make them flexible.

For example, the installer for the OS X developer documentation only gives you the option to install everything, rather than allowing you to select doc for the different APIs (java, cocoa, carbon, device drivers - the whole thing is installed), and it can only be installed on the root filesystem.

This was a problem for me because the documentation is 500 megabytes, and I don't have that much room on my startup disk (it's a 6 year old 8500 that I installed OS X on with XPostFacto). I have lots of room on my linux netatalk server, but the installer doesn't give the option of installing to a server volume.

One can do scary things with the "pax" command to install to alternative locations, but I haven't tried that yet.

I suspect there are other problems as well.

On the other hand, my Mac checks for updates each time it starts up, and there is a nice UI for obtaining them. It would be nice if there were a way that this version checker could be told to check for updates from alternate sources. Maybe there is, I don't know.

One of the goals of the GNU Darwin project is a better package system for OS X. They also provide OS X binaries for a great many Free Software programs. You can download a 650 MB installer .iso image, or you can buy a CD from a vendor:

http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford