Re: Mac OS X package

On 2002.05.29 09:02 Michael D. Crawford wrote:
I'm not so happy with what I've experienced with OS X installers so far, although maybe it's because the writer of the installer scripts didn't make the effort to make them flexible.

For example, the installer for the OS X developer documentation only gives you the option to install everything, rather than allowing you to select doc for the different APIs (java, cocoa, carbon, device drivers - the whole thing is installed),

Strange... long ago, I used NeXT, and I could choose what parts of the packages to install. Has the installer gone worse...?

and it can only be installed on the root filesystem.

Shouldn't it work just like that? APT does that too.

On the other hand, my Mac checks for updates each time it starts up, and there is a nice UI for obtaining them. It would be nice if there were a way that this version checker could be told to check for updates from alternate sources. Maybe there is, I don't know.

Debian doesn't do this, I believe; having a check-updates options would be nice, I think. So that apt-get could be run every time the system gets booted, and then giving you notices about newer packages.

One of the goals of the GNU Darwin project is a better package system for OS X. They also provide OS X binaries for a great many Free Software programs. You can download a 650 MB installer .iso image, or you can buy a CD from a vendor:

http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/

Would that be based on APT? Or, is it any better compared to APT?

I'm not advocating anything for Apple on this list; it's just that the OS is pretty tempting, but given the fact that installing the packages is close to untarring tarballs, dreaming about owning it is quite re-thinkable.

Oki