Re: Dual Boot with XP

"Keith O'Connell" <keith_oconnell@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> Steve,
>
> > Better yet, add this to /etc/lilo.conf:
> >
> > other=/dev/hda1
> > 	label=WinXP
> >
> > This works splendidly for me.  YMMV.
>
> I am surprised - I was under the impression that XP was hostile to
> Linux and you had to be sneaky to get it to work. So, am I right
> then;

I don't have experience with WinXP, but previous windoze versions
weren't hostile to Linux. Their installation programs on the other
hand had a tendency to just blindly repartition your disks without
looking to see if something else (other than another Win OS) was
installed on them. So they had a bad tendency to obliterate
non-Windows partitions. Once installed though I've never had any
trouble, even when doing Windoze upgrades from, for example, 98 -> 2k.

> 	1: install XP to hda1
> 	2: install Debian to hdb1-7
> 	3: install lilo to hda
> 	4: edit lilo.conf as above
> 	5: run lilo
> 	6: reboot and select as appropriate
>
> Is the right things in the right order?

The sequence looks good to me. It's been a while but that's what I did
(with 98 and 2k).

Gary