Re: Testing inactive at present

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 09:29:43AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I track Testing most days, but for several weeks there has been nothing
> new. Presumably this is related to the coming freeze of Woody,

Correct.

> but I'm concerned that when Woody become stable there will be a huge
> influx of packages into Testing which will take ages to fetch.
>
> Should we be tracking Sid at present in preference to Testing, or will
> the switchover go smoothly when it happens?

Your choice. When woody becomes stable and the dust settles, my
understanding is that the following will happen:

  * A new testing branch will be created, initially identical to stable.

  * The first run of the testing scripts on this new branch will upgrade
    all packages which can be upgraded to the versions in unstable while
    keeping testing consistent (as usual).

However, unstable is moving rather slowly at the moment, as a lot of
developers are apparently holding their breath waiting to see what's
happening with woody and security updates, so the first testing run for
woody+1 won't be as much as you'd normally expect for a month's worth of
updates.

Current unstable is not what will become the new testing, in case that's
what you're thinking; it'll just feed into it as usual.