Re: Testing inactive at present

On 28 May 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 09:29:43AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I track Testing most days, but for several weeks there has been nothing
> > new. Presumably this is related to the coming freeze of Woody,
>
> Correct.
>
> > but I'm concerned that when Woody become stable there will be a huge
> > influx of packages into Testing which will take ages to fetch.
> >
> > Should we be tracking Sid at present in preference to Testing, or will
> > the switchover go smoothly when it happens?
>
> Your choice. When woody becomes stable and the dust settles, my
> understanding is that the following will happen:
>
>   * A new testing branch will be created, initially identical to stable.
>
>   * The first run of the testing scripts on this new branch will upgrade
>     all packages which can be upgraded to the versions in unstable while
>     keeping testing consistent (as usual).
>
> However, unstable is moving rather slowly at the moment, as a lot of
> developers are apparently holding their breath waiting to see what's
> happening with woody and security updates, so the first testing run for
> woody+1 won't be as much as you'd normally expect for a month's worth of
> updates.
>
> Current unstable is not what will become the new testing, in case that's
> what you're thinking; it'll just feed into it as usual.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

Thanks; that clarifies things.

AC

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For electronic books on the Assassins and on homeopathy, skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]