Re: authenticate from LDAP (samba PDC)

Begin  Tom Cook  quotation:
> > I found this same information in some other documents.  Hmm, maybe if
> > I specify the passwd program correctly then the password stored in
> > LDAP can be updated through samba.  That isn't such a big deal, IMO,
> > because other means can be devised (eg an authenticated web form
> > submission over SSL or logging in to a nicely-behaved PAM-enabled *NIX
> > box and using 'passwd').
>
> Certainly if you use a web form to change passwords then you could
> have it update both LDAP and smbpasswd.
>
> > As it stands right now, there isn't any automated synchronization
> > between the windows sytstems and the unix systems.  The unix systems
>
> A good point.  Some synchronisation is better than none.

I've got this sort of setup working, with /etc/pam.d/passwd:

  password   required   pam_ldap.so

and the samba password synchronisation:

  passwd chat = *New\spassword:* %n\n *Re-enter\snew\spassword:* %n\n.* .

and then people change their passwords using 'smbpasswd', or the little
button "change password" on the NT boxes (which simply runs smbpasswd.)
This does the trick.  We've also got a nice web password-changing
script, but that simply passes its arguments to smbpasswd, so it goes
through the above procedure anyway.  It's a little ugly, in that
everything on the linux box authenticates off ldap through pam except
for samba, but it works.

Martin

--
pgp public key at http://ocsc.ormond.unimelb.edu.au/~mstrauss/pgp_key.asc