authenticate from LDAP (samba PDC)

We're trying to move from lots of duplicate authentication data on
different systems to having a single unified sign-on source by using
LDAP.  I managed to get login and sshd to authentiate against an ldap
server through pam.  It's cool and quite simple as well.

Now I want to make samba be the PDC for the windows machines and have
it authenticate against the LDAP server as well.  The docs I've read
seem to indicate that samba and pam don't play together that well.
The only solution I can think of is to periodically rebuild the
smbpasswd file from LDAP.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to achieve this?

TIA,
-D

--

How to shoot yourself in the foot with Java:

You find that Microsoft and Sun have released incompatible class
libraries both implementing Gun objects. You then find that although
there are plenty of feet objects implemented in the past in many other
languages, you cannot get access to one. But seeing as Java is so cool,
you don't care and go around shooting anything else you can find.
    (written by Mark Hammond)