Re: Which Package To File This Bug Report Under?

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 08:52:06PM -0400, Ajit George wrote:
> I attempted to do an apt-get dist-upgrade and everything worked fine
> until it attempted to:
>
> - install libsnmpkit2 (version 0.9-4).  Apt quit with an error saying
> that it was trying to overwrite a .so installed by libsnmpkit1
> - So I tried to remove libsnmpkit1 and received another error, which was
> pconf-detect(0.5-4) depended on libsnmpkit1
> -I tried to remove pconf-detect and got another error.  Couldn't remove
> pconf-detect because it depended on libprinterconf0 (0.5-4) which
> depended on libsnmpkit2 which wasn't installed yet

libsnmpkit1 and libsnmpkit2 appear to be disaster area packages.
libsnmpkit1 should never have installed libsnmpkit.so.2.0.0, and the
maintainer really should have known what was happening rather than
saying "I have no idea of what triggers [this bug] so I am trying a wild
guess" ...

Anyway, a bug against libsnmpkit2 has already been closed by adding an
explicit conflict (breaking the expectation that you should be able to
install multiple library versions simultaneously, but hey), and a new
version of pconf-detect is available that depends on libsnmpkit2.
Upgrade to those and you should be fine.