Re: Which Package To File This Bug Report Under?

On 26 May 2002 20:52:06 -0400
"Ajit George" <ajitgeorge@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently running Debian Unstable...  I'd like to report a bug
> concerning a package but I'm a bit confused as to which package to
> file it under.
>
> First, I don't think apt-get automatically logs its activities...  I
> can find no mention of that in the man page.  Correct me if I am wrong
> though.  I'd like the logs so I can put up the exact error messages I
> got.
>
> I attempted to do an apt-get dist-upgrade and everything worked fine
> until it attempted to:
>
> - install libsnmpkit2 (version 0.9-4).  Apt quit with an error saying
> that it was trying to overwrite a .so installed by libsnmpkit1
> - So I tried to remove libsnmpkit1 and received another error, which
> was pconf-detect(0.5-4) depended on libsnmpkit1
> -I tried to remove pconf-detect and got another error.  Couldn't
> remove pconf-detect because it depended on libprinterconf0 (0.5-4)
> which depended on libsnmpkit2 which wasn't installed yet
>
> I tried using apt-get -f install.  No dice.
>
> This appears to be the dependency sequence:
>
> pconf-detect<----libsnmpkit1
>     <----libprinterconf0<----libsnmpkit2 XXXXXX libsnmpkit1
>
> <----depends XXXX conflict
>
> Finally I used dpkg --remove pconf-detect a and removed everything
> down the line.  I installed libsnmpkit2 and then installed back up.
> Everything seemed to work fine after that and apt didn't have a
> problem...
>
> Any comments as to how to file this would be appreciated.  I'm
> thinking under libsnmpkit2

I'm not really an apt know-it-all, but I think the bug is the fact that
libsnmpkit2 doesn't conflict with libsnmpkit1. If it did, libsnmpkit1
would have been removed when you tried to install libsnmpkit2. So this
seems to be a bug in libsnmpkit2.

Grtjs,

Tim