General question re: Report generation

At work I need to generate monthly and other occassional reports out of an Oracle database. I started doing this years ago before I knew Linux existed, and use Crystal Reports on Windows to generate those reports. Crystal Reports is a drag-n-drop/point-n-click app that lets you create a "template" for how your report will look, and requires minimal knowledge of SQL (and my knowledge of SQL is indeed minimal -- I'm an "appliance operator" concerning dbms stuff). It uses ODBC to connect to the Oracle database.

Question: How is this done in *nix (in general terms)? If I want to do it from my Debian box, will I have to learn Perl/Python/etc (which I'm not opposed to; it's just another steep slope on getting there from here)? Is there a drag-n-drop replacement for Crystal on *nix? Will I need to use some sort of ODBC tool, or is there a more direct route to the data in the database? (I've played some with some *nix-flavored ODBC tools, and didn't have a lot of success, but mostly due to my general ignorance of things Database.)

Thanks for any hints!

Kent