Re: iptables 2.2.20-idepci

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 04:51:26AM -0600, Dave Price wrote:

| It sets up with a 2.2.20 kernel and returns uname= 2.2.20-idepci.
|
| I am trying to use this as a firewall system.  The system appears to
| have iptables installed (even an init script and 'empty' config, but
| when I try to do the commands in the howto's (even the modprobes) they
| seem to fail, there do not appear to be any of the required ip_table
| modules on the system.
|
| Is anyone elso familiar with this 'distro'?  do I need to recompile my
| kerenel to a 2.4 to get the ip_tables stuff, or am I missing something?
|
| Any advice as to how to figure out what iptables capabillies I have in
| this system already would be greatly appreciated.

There are 2 parts to firewalling in linux :
    o   the kernel modules that do the real work
    o   the user-space program to tell the kernel what you want it to do

You can have the user-space program installed even without the
necessary kernel support.  2.2 kernels don't have iptables, they use
the older "ipchains".  If you want to use iptables you'll need a 2.4
kernel.  Otherwise install the 'ipchains' package and use it.

-D

--

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
but he who hates correction is stupid.