iptables 2.2.20-idepci

Hi,

I have a woody system built from a netinst cdrom i found on the debian
site.

It sets up with a 2.2.20 kernel and returns uname= 2.2.20-idepci.

I am trying to use this as a firewall system.  The system appears to
have iptables installed (even an init script and 'empty' config, but
when I try to do the commands in the howto's (even the modprobes) they
seem to fail, there do not appear to be any of the required ip_table
modules on the system.

Is anyone elso familiar with this 'distro'?  do I need to recompile my
kerenel to a 2.4 to get the ip_tables stuff, or am I missing something?

Any advice as to how to figure out what iptables capabillies I have in
this system already would be greatly appreciated.

aloha,
dave