Re: OT: debian-beer (was Re: wrapping [was: Re: disable paragraphflows in mozilla?])

On Sat, 25 May 2002, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 12:02:35AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > > home and abroad.  And it was still a cheap shot for the national gaurd
> > > to open fire from a helicopter on an unarmed, peaceful war protest.
> >
> > ????  You aren't talking about Kent State are you?
>
> I think that's where it was, I couldn't remember the name.  It wasn't
> taught in school, strangely enough.  I heard about it elsewhere.

It occurred in May 1970.  In 1974 I attended a protest/remembrance
there (I am an Ohioan) and heard Jane Fonda, Daniel Ellsberg, Julian
Bond, et al., speak.  It was declared a sacred site, etc.  A few
years later the bloodsoaked ground was ploughed so a new gymnasium
could be built.  The administration was unconcerned with the protests
about this insensitive behaviour.  This sort of thing is not taught
in American schools perhaps because it is seemingly at odds with our
democratic principles.  The less polished side of US history is covered
well by Howard Zinn (Peoples History of the United States - used at
several universities) and a great book called: 'The 60s Without Apology.'

By the way gents, there was no helicopter involved at Kent State.
The guardsmen believed (or so it was said later) they had been issued
blanks.  The orders were to fire into the ground (makes more noise).
Obviously they missed..."four dead in O-Hi-O" is how Crosby, Stills
and Nash put it.  A painful chapter in the history of the US Armed
Forces.

Now there was a similar event (same time frame) that occurred at
Jackson State in Mississippi.  Maybe a helo was involved there?

Cheers (very much enjoying this thread although it isn't work related!)

Baloo - should you stop by New York City pop in.  We'll have a pint
and maybe a glass of decent whisky (if any is left by that time!)
Thomas Good                                  e-mail: tomg@sqlclinic.net
Programmer/Analyst                           phone:   (+1) 718.818.5528
Residential Services                         fax:     (+1) 718.818.5056
Behavioral Health Services, SVCMC-NY         mobile:  (+1) 917.282.7359
SQL Clinic - An Open Source Clinical Record           www.sqlclinic.net