Re: newbie: Networking

On Sun, 2002-05-26 at 01:31, Peter Holm wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I will use two small industrial PC:s in an application.
> The computers has both two ethernet ports. eth0 and eth1.
> I got problems when i configured them in /etc/network/interfaces.
> My first config was to set up both eth0 and eth1 on the same
> network: 10.0.0.0 at IP:s 10.0.0.50 and 10.0.0.51 for the first
> computer and 10.0.0.60 and 10.0.0.61 for the second one.
>
> My problem seemed to be that the traffic was routed thru eth0
> or eth1 randomly after every reboot. As i'm going to hook up
> work cameras to eth1 on both computers i must somehow configure
> the interfaces differently to be able to establish any contact
> with the cameras.
>
> Therefore i set up /etc/network/interfaces to let eth1 use
> a completly different network, which will guaretee me the
> traffic between the camera and the computer uses eth1 and
> not eth0. Lets say i use the 192.168.0.0 network for the
> camera - computer comms. and the 10.0.0.0 network for the
> computer - computer comms.
>
> Now, as the camera has a built in webserver for configuration.
> It must be accessible from the 10.0.0.0 network as well. I
> guess that meens i have to route traffic from the 10.0.0.0
> network to the 192.168.0.0 network and here is where my knowledge
>  betrays me.
>
> I hope you understand what my problem is, beeing a swedish guy
> trying to describe my problems in english isn't very easy,
> especially when it comes to technical english.

How about
	eth0		eth1
box1:	10.0.1.1	10.0.0.1
box2:	10.0.1.2	10.0.0.2
camera1:		10.0.0.3
camera2:		10.0.0.4

Each interface would have a netmask of 255.255.255.0, and you
could, then, plug the 2 cameras, and the 2 eth1 interfaces into
a hub/switch.  This way, you could have a little 4 node network
since both cameras would also be on the 10.0.0.* network.  And,
both box1 and box2 could view the output from camera1 and camera2.

Both eth0 NICs could be plugged into a 2nd hub/switch,
and then head to the "main" network.

Any video that you wanted sent out to the main network would
easily be gatewayed from eth1 thru eth0.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net     |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."        |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002,                   |
!   CNN, Larry King Live                                  |