HP 4100C USB scanner

I just bought this scanner, good price, and it works erratically.  There are many issues.  I have gotten it to be identified on two machines running sid.  Sane is not happy to deal with it, but it can be done.  I should not post about this on this list, but can someone please contact me off the list (if appropriate) to discuss this scanner?  Someone, I hope, who has it running.

Issues:
   OHCI vs UHCI?  Is there an issue?
   Hangs or timeouts?
   If the system sets hardware, then how to get it reset?
   Does one need some parameters for the modules?

By the way, is it easy to fry a scanner w/ software?  I fried my Microtek E6, and I suspectee it was an issue with the SCSI drivers in the kernel.

Debian has come far, for sure, in the past few years.  Thank you to everyone who has made it what it is today...

Alan Davis
Marianas High School
Saipan, N. Mariana Islands

--
adavis@saipan.com                                     1-670-322-6580
    Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI

I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one
on every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
                                  -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)