Re: get XFree on one screen

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 11:34:13PM -0400, Phil wrote:
> I have Debian on an antique machine and have Xfree86 and gnome
> running.  However the only device I could get to run was the VGA16 and it
> seems to recognize the 640x480 modeline configuration but repors thatit is
> running in virtual 800x600 mode.In the mode the screen does not fit on the
> monitor and scrolls when the mouse gets to the edge of the monitor
> screen.  is there ant\y way to get the image on one screen?

There is a way. In the Screen section of XF86Config, there are a number
of Display subsections.

In my /etc/X11/XF86Config:

  Section "Screen"
      Driver "SVGA"
      #Identifier  "Screen 1"
      Device      "Chips & Technologies CT65545"
      Monitor     "My Monitor"
      DefaultColorDepth 16

      Subsection "Display"
          Depth       8
	  Modes       "640x480"
	  Virtual     1024 768
	  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This line controls virtual mode
	  Viewport    0 0

You can set the Virtual line to 640 480 if you want to have the image
fit the screen.

Depending upon your version of X, the config file could be:
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config (or somewhere around there)

You can find out more about configuring X by reading the XF86Config