Re: OT: debian-beer and Scots Whisky

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Paul Johnson wrote:

> There's just not a lot you can do with an American standard or a lager
> beer to make it better.  Canadians just manage to do a little better
> than Americans do at both, though.  But then again, there's very little
> that Canada doesn't do better than the US...

Roger that.  Sleemans (Ont/Quebec) is a respectable brew with an amber
to it.  It's not Newcastle (UK) but will do in a pinch. ;-)  I compare
Sleemans to Lagavulin (a single malt of the Islay variety) and Newcastle to
the superior Talisker (Isle of Skye), the best scots whisky, period.

If you fancy Weizen (from Bayern) Erdinger is not bad.  Here in the States
we are now seeing Bitburger (a superior Northern German pils) pop up in all
the stores.  It is not bad for a pale beer.  And surprisingly, it tastes
the same here as it does in any bar in Berlin.

But returning to your cental point: you are correct that most of my
countrymen regard Budweiser (or Bud Light - unbelievable) as beer.
This is obviously absurd.  It is more akin to "near beer" - an alcohol free
pale yellow organic suspension whose sole purpose seems to be its
function as a diuretic.  Perhaps it was spawned from the same mentality
that produced such wonders as "naugahyde" and fake leather (leatherette?)
jackets.  In fact I easily envision a bar full of vinyl clad patrons
sipping Bud light...perhaps I read this somewhere...Dante?

Thomas Good                                  e-mail: tomg@sqlclinic.net
Programmer/Analyst                           phone:   (+1) 718.818.5528
Residential Services                         fax:     (+1) 718.818.5056
Behavioral Health Services, SVCMC-NY         mobile:  (+1) 917.282.7359
SQL Clinic - An Open Source Clinical Record           www.sqlclinic.net