Re: Nvidia GeForce2 [was Re: woody]

> Nvidia cards require their proprietary driver to work under X.

No, I believe this isn't true.  Use the 'nv' driver (included with
XFree86 and open source (obviously)) and you should be okay.

If you want full 3D acceleration (essentially as good as their Windows
driver), then you can use their proprietary driver, but otherwise you
don't need it.

I have a Geforce4 card at home, which the 'nv' driver doesn't (yet)
recognize, so I had to use the proprietary one to get X going at all.
But the nv driver supports through the Geforce3's:

	(II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA128, RIVATNT, RIVATNT2,
		RIVATNT2 (A), RIVATNT2 (B), RIVATNT2 (Ultra), RIVATNT2 (Vanta),
		RIVATNT2 M64, RIVATNT2 (Integrated), GeForce 256, GeForce DDR,
		Quadro, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 GTS (rev 1), GeForce2 ultra,
		Quadro 2 Pro, GeForce2 MX, GeForce2 MX DDR, Quadro 2 MXR,
		GeForce 2 Go, GeForce3, GeForce3 (rev 1), GeForce3 (rev 2),
		GeForce3 (rev 3)

--Pete