Re: Installing sid from scratch

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:58:53AM -0700, Walter Reed wrote:
> I've been running varios distros for a number of years (starting with slack
> about 6 years ago) and never got into debian. It's about time I did. I'm a
> bleeding edge kinda guy, and wanted to play with the latest code. So I'm
> looking at sid. Sid doesn't have install disks yet, so I'm wondering what the
> best way is to get up and running.  Do I go the woody route and dist-upgrade?
> Is there a faq out there somewhere (didn't find one googling or searching deb
> web site...) that goes over this?

You can go the woody route to start, then upgrade to sid; this is
probably the safest method as any sid installation media you find is
probably not anywhere near ready for human consumption yet.  Or if
you've done it before or are fairly confident in taking a shortcut, you
can edit your sources.list during install and use woody's installer as a
sid installer.

If you want an unofficial Debian installer,
ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/sid/ has CD
versions,
ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/sid-dvd/ has sid on
DVD (though your local Suncoast will have Sid on DVD in the Disney
section 8:o)

There is.  The debian net-inst page is at http://debian.org/CD/netinst/

--
Baloo