Re: Installing sid from scratch

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:58:53AM -0700, Walter Reed wrote:
> I've been running varios distros for a number of years (starting with
> slack about 6 years ago) and never got into debian. It's about time I
> did. I'm a bleeding edge kinda guy, and wanted to play with the latest
> code. So I'm looking at sid. Sid doesn't have install disks yet, so
> I'm wondering what the best way is to get up and running.  Do I go the
> woody route and dist-upgrade?

Yeah, go for woody. The sid distribution, a.k.a. unstable, will never
have install disks as such: it feeds into the release branch, but
doesn't release itself. woody and sid aren't really all that much
different right now, of course.

> My preference is to download the absolute minimum and net-install a
> minimal system. From the install guide it looks like I have to install
> a number of floppies (yuck). Has anyone done this using a minimal
> CDROM instead?

There's a so-called "netinst" CD which you can try. It's the first link
from http://cdimage.debian.org/ ("Download a minimal bootable CD
image").

Cheers,