xemacs problems

I installed xemacs 21 from Woody.  I run fvwm as my window manager.  I'm using
the same configuration files as I did with Red Hat for both.  Xemacs is ignoring
the font information I have in my configuration files, and when it loads in
fvwm, instead of staying on desktop 0,0, it spreads out well beyond desktop 0,0
and into the other 3.  Since I haven't had this trouble with xemacs at any other
time, I though I'd ask here in case Debian has done some tweaking to it.

The font is something else - if I was legally blind it would easily be large enough for me to see it.
I'd much prefer to be able to tweak it to a smaller size.

Suggestions?

Glen