Re: OT: debian-beer (was Re: wrapping [was: Re: disable paragraph flows in mozilla?])

begin  Tom Cook  quotation:

> Oh boy, here comes a flame war...

No kidding.

> <opinion source="what I've tasted">
> The Irish, without a shadow of a doubt, make the best beer in the
> world.  They are just damn good at it.  After them, and I am trying to
> be impartial here, we Australians do a damn good beer.  It's not
> exotic, it doesn't have bits floating in it, it's just cold, clean,
> smooth and refreshing.  Next, the Germans are very capable beer
> makers.  After that the whole world really goes to hell, with the
> French-speakers only not coming last because the Americans do.  As a
> certain comedy team pointed out, it's like making love in a canoe...
> </opinion>

Then what you've tasted must be quite limited. There is a lot of good
beer in the USA, but it doesn't come from the big-name companies, and
you won't see adverts for it on TV. And it is nothing whatsoever like
making love in a canoe, which indeed the megabrews (Coors, et al) are.
However, I have no idea what good US brews would be available in
Australia.

It sounds like you're a lager fan, which is the only explanation I can
think of for your low opinion of Belgian ales (which I assume is part of
what you're dismissing as "the French-speakers"). Well, to each their
own on that. There are some lagers I like, particularly the best German
doppelbocks (Spaten Optimator, Ayinger Celebrator/Fortunator, Paulaner
Salvator). By and large, though, I prefer ales. I like the heavier feel
of them, and the lower carbonation level (on average).

As for Australia, I know of nothing from that continent that is worth
drinking. Then again I've only had Foster's, which is garbage. What
Australian brews do you like that I might be able to find in the USA?

Craig