Re: New Debian user - a bunch of problems

* Glen Lee Edwards (glen@fcwm.org) [020522 14:07]:
> Before I begin, I want to state that I'm very impressed with Debian.
> It's obvious that some very talented people put in a lot of quality
> time on it. I now have it installed on all 3 of my servers, which
> formerly ran Red Hat.  The base system install went great on all of
> them.  I'm now having a bunch of nagging problems getting individual
> packages to work:
>
> I have apt-get set to load the testing directory.
>
> 1) I can't get X to work right.  It installed fine, and starts ok.
> But screen resolution is something like 640x480 when it's supposed to
> be 1152x864.  I have xfree86 4.1.0-16 installed.  Any suggestions will
> be appreciated.  I need X to run ASAP because I have to use xemacs to
> update by hand a 6000 line database that's due tomorrow evening.  BTW,

Why do you have to do this in xemacs? Try emacs on the console if you're
a die-hard emacs user, or try vim on the console if you can be swayed to
the dark(light?) side.

> if anyone is using an IBM 2235 C50 monitor, can you send me the
> refresh rates?

Vertical refresh rate (low; high) (Hz):50; 120 Maximum Horizontal
frequency (low; high) (kHz):30; 54

So that would be

HorizSync	30-54
VertRefresh	50-120

Did you even try before you asked us? I got those numbers here, which
is the first placce you should have looked.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ibm+2235+c50+refresh&btnI=I

Anyway, now take a sharpie and tatoo those numbers on the back of your
monitor so you'll never need to look them up again.

> 2). The mouse is going nuts.  When I move it around it does all kinds
> of weird things, including acting like I've pressed one of the 3
> buttons when I haven't, or sen't kill commands to fvwm, etc.  I have a
> Logitech M-C48 wheel mouse.  If any of you have the console and X
> settings for it, I'd appreciate it.

Since you mention "console and X settings" I assume you want to use it
on both the console and in X. Thus, simply removing gpm as others
suggest (and no doubt others still will yet) is not a solution. My guess
is that your mouse (like my logitech wheel trackball) will use the imps2
protocol. Select this protocol in your gpm config and verify that it
works correctly on the console. Also ensure that you have
"repeat_type = raw" in your gpm.conf . Then tell X that your mouse is an
ImPS/2 on /dev/gpmdata. I have this in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 :

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2
EndSection

> 3) Is there a way to get Pine to work on Debian?  I can't find a
> package for it, so I installed a Pine rpm using alien.  It installed
> fine, but now errors out stating that it can't load the necessary
> libraries.  But some of the libraries it says it's missing aren't on
> the Red Hat 7.2 box that I've been running Pine on (libcom_err.so.3)?

Yes. The pine licensing forbids distributing binaries compiled from
modified source, and in order to build a .deb, we need to at least add a
debian directory which includes the control file, etc. Unfortunately,
this means that we can't include a binary pine package.

Fortunately, there is a source package, and a package called
pine-tracker which will let you know when a new source package is
available such that you can rebuild it.

Of course, the right way to do it is to use mutt. =)

> 4) I can't send mail.  I've installed sendmail, largely because I've
> been using it for years, and this is a production box.  I don't have
> time right now to learn another MTA.  When I try to send mail using
> Mutt, which I've never used, it keeps giving me excuses as to why the
> operating system won't allow it to send mail.  The latest excuse is:
> "Warning: Cannot use HostStatusDirectory =
> /var/lib/sendmail/host_status: No such file or directory"

Sorry, can't help you here. Not a sendmailie. As a hint, though, if
you're just looking for a pretty vanilla MTA installation, just give
exim a shot. Just install it and run eximconfig and you should be up and
running, without having to learn another MTA. It's really quite simple.

> 5) I run several MyPHPNuke boards on some domains I host.  When I try
> to access the domains, instead of opening the site, it downloads the
> file instead.  Apparently it can't figure out that it's supposed to
> execute PHP.  I have PHP4 installed.  Suggestions?

I've got this in my httpd.conf, and it seems to work:
<IfModule mod_php4.c>
  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php4 .php3 .phtml .php
</IfModule>

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml