Re: Recommended tape backup software - tape vs disk - raided

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:04:49PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya petro

    Morning.

> On Mon, 20 May 2002, Petro wrote:
> > > That's innovative, but impractical.
> >     No, it's a great idea, but you can do the same thing even more
> >     safely with tapes.
> good point.. give um tapes.... most people dont have an expensive
> drive sitting at home .... to go poking around on it
> 	while everybody can poke around on an ide disk

    Wait a minute, you're not encrypting them?

    <smack>

> > > A terabyte is 10 AIT-3 tapes. How many disks is it?
> >     10 120 gig IDE drives.
> >     Each with lots of electronics to fail.
> yuppers... and with a tape drive.. you only fix one ??

    When the electronics on a tape drive fail, you can use almost any
    other tape drive of the same media type to read the tape. In an
    emergency, you drive down to <local computer supply store? and buy
    one.

    If the electronics on a hard drive fail, at *best* you drive down to
    the local clean room repair shop and perform unnatural acts on the
    tech while he tries to put the platters in a different unit.

> and i've never dropped at tape drive... nor disks...
> 	- tapes get dropped because a klutz like me is swapping
> 	out a tape w/ feeble fingers...

    As opposed to swaping out a drive with feeble fingers?

> 	- i get itchy when i see people dropping stuff...

    Disasters happen. That's what backups are for after all.

> 	- even worst when i see them with rubber shoes touching
> 	memory/disks w/o antistatic

    Tapes aren't as delicate.

> 	( its hilarious when they say they got shocked...
> 	( and wonder why the machine stopped working...

    In almost 20 years of messing with computers in various capacities,
    including living and working in high-static environments, the only
    time static electricity has cause a computer I was working on to die
    was a lightining strike.

--
My last cigarette was roughly 29 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes ago.
YHBW