Kernel Upgrade Problem

Hello,

I'm using debian 2.2r5 potato. I downloaded "kernel-package" and "kernel-source-2.4.18" (from unstable). After reading through the documentation and installing the kernel as described, I got a number of errors when booting up. The error was "<xyz-kernel-module>: Cannot locate module", for all the modules this was a common error.

The exact sequence of things I did after downloading:

1. make menuconfig
2. make dep
3. make-kpkg --revision=mykernel.1.0 kernel_image
4. make-kpkg modules-image
5. dpkg -i the_kernel_image

At Step 4, I received an error message. Some syntax "Error 2" message. Therefore I used the alternative route and instead of "make-kpkg modules-image" I did:

* make modules
* make modules_install

These two steps created the /lib/modules/2.4.18 directory and installed all the modules necessary.

However, after configuring lilo and restarting the machine I keep getting the "Cannot locate module" for each of the modules.

Where do I define the source of the modules? Most of the modules it gives the error for, I had chosen to build into the kernel itself and therefore they do not exist in the /lib/modules/2.4.18 directory.

Please suggest what I can try next? Why does it scream for modules that are supposed to be built into the kernel?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Mikhail