Re: Kernel Upgrade Problem

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 12:51, the jackol wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using debian 2.2r5 potato. I downloaded "kernel-package" and
> "kernel-source-2.4.18" (from unstable). After reading through the
> documentation and installing the kernel as described, I got a number of
> errors when booting up. The error was "<xyz-kernel-module>: Cannot locate
> module", for all the modules this was a common error.

That's rather easy if you upgraded from a 2.2 kernel. You need a more recent
modutils package for 2.4 kernels. For the exact version you need see the
installation docs of the kernel (in /usr/src/linux/Documentation). Just get
an appropriate deb and you should be fine.

And while you're at it make sure the other dependencies of the kernel are met.