Re: latex->xpdf

> Hi all,
>
> I am fairly new to latex, so this could easily be something I am doing
> wierd, but...
>
> When I use latex to convert a source file into a dvi, the dvi looks
> great.  Then when I use either dvips->gs or dvipdf to convert the dvi
> into a pdf, the pdf looks OK in acroread but unintelligable in xpdf.
> It just comes out as a series of lines of dots on the page.  The
> commands I am using are:
>
> # latex source.tex
> # dvips source.dvi
> # gs -sOutputFile=source.pdf -sDEVICE=pdfwrite source.ps
>
> or
>
> # dvipdf source.dvi source.pdf
>
> Any ideas on why xpdf is barfing?

I would probably use ps2pdf as a postscript to pdf converter.  However, if you
have the LaTeX source, the preferred method would be to use pdflatex (it comes
in the tetex-bin package).  You'll have to convert any .eps figures to .pdf
(via epstopdf), and if you use "seperator characters" in your \label{} tags
(e.g., \label{fig:xyplot}, pdflatex will die on the ':'.  The only seperator
character it allows in the \label{} statements are '_'s.

Have fun.

Stephen W. Juranich                             sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering             http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington                http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli