Re: latex->xpdf

Tom> When I use latex to convert a source file into a dvi, the dvi looks
Tom> great.  Then when I use either dvips->gs or dvipdf to convert the
Tom> dvi into a pdf, the pdf looks OK in acroread but unintelligable in
Tom> xpdf.

I don't use xpdf much but it might be because dvips by default uses
bitmap versions of the TeX fonts, rather than PostScript versions.  Try:

# cd /etc/texmf/dvips
[edit updmap and add "type1_default=true" somewhere]
# ./updmap

and see if that helps.  Of course, you'll need to regenerate the ps and
pdf files.

Hmm.  I just ran xpdf on an old pdf file that was created using TeX, and
it says:
  Error: This document uses Type 3 fonts - some text may not be correctly displayed
and gives the same kind of display as what you describe, so this may be
your problem.  xpdf doesn't understand Type 3 fonts. (Type 3 fonts allow
for bitmapped fonts.)

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA