Re: Recommended tape backup software

hi ya

i thought amanda needed "temp space for it to backup its file to go to
backup"  .. ie.. if you backing up 100GB of user data ... you need another
100GB of space too ... before it goes to the final backup media ( tape ? )
	- 1TB in some cases of backups ...

-- tar is a time tested best backup free software for backups..
	- you can do anything you like with it.. no restrictions ??

make sure you can recover if one or two of the tapes is bad...
	or if somebody lost the tape.. or if the heads/tapes went bad

one script .. for all the various backups .. ( 3-6 lines in cron )
	backup.sh  < -daily | -weekly | -monthly > < -full >

incremental daily...
   tar zcvf /dev/tape `find /usr/local /var /etc /root /hom -mtime -2`
	- increment the counter daily, for  sat == -8 days of backup

incremental weekly
   tar zcvf /dev/tape `find /usr/local /var /etc /root /hom -mtime -30`
	- do additional weekly full backup if large amount of data

incremental monthly
   tar zcvf /dev/tape `find /usr/local /var /etc /root /hom -mtime -90`
	- do additional monthly full backup if large amount of data

c ya
alvin
http://www.Linux-Backup.net .. lots of free backup scripts ..

backup strategy... make multiple copies....
	- if doing to dds tapes... clean your heads weekely...

	- read the tapes back weekly to a virgin machine and see if all
	the data is readable...

	- tons of problems with tapes for "large amount of data"...
	- i prefer disks for backups... fast, easy, cheap and
	(offline) live backups