Re: ps/2 mouse flickering on toshiba - xfree 4.1.0-16

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 05:42:30PM +0100, Vasco Figueira wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When recently upgraded from potato to woody, wich means xfree 3.x to
> 4.x, I have occasionaly some problems with my external (ps/2) mouse.
>
> I have a Toshiba Satellite 4070, and the mouse is a Microsoft
> Intellimouse 1.2A, PS/2 compatible. Xfree version is the latest on
> woody, 4.1.0-16. gpm is installed, but with or without it, it's the
> same.
>
> The bug is tremendously annoying for two reasons:
> 	1) It's occasional and not reproducible. Sometimes happens, sometimes
> not. Sometimes a reboot fixes it, sometimes not.
> 	2) If I don't touch the mouse it stays put, if not, it flickers and
> jumps all over the screen every time I move it, pressing things it
> should not press. :-)
>
> I'm totally clueless about this. Should I fill a bug report?
>
> Follows XF86Config-4.

> Section "ServerLayout"
> 	Identifier	"Default Layout"
> 	Screen		"Default Screen"
> 	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
> 	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
> 	InputDevice	"Generic Mouse"
> EndSection

I've had a similar problem, and commented out one of the above mouses to
"solve" it.   Presumably there's a way to prevent the problem recurring,
perhaps using debconf?, but I've opted for the quick fix.  I have found
that gpm also can cause such problems, but I've long since removed it from
my system.

Ken

--
Ken Irving <jkirving@mosquitonet.com>