Install Debian for desktop

Hi,

I am using Windows as my main system at the moment. I have tried various distributions in the past (Suse, Mandrake, Redhat). The Linux-systems I tried could never fully replace my Windows desktop. Unstable application software was one reason, the amount of hacking required another.

With some of the major applications reaching 1.x, I believe now is the time to give Linux another shot. Besides I don't want to upgrade to WinXP.

I know Debian is more difficult to install, but I hope I will benefit by learning a lot. The default install for Redhat 7.3 is quite nice, but adapting it to my needs is a lot of work. I might as well try Debian and only install things I really need to avoid bloat.

I have downloaded a Woody-iso, and managed to install a minimal system with internet-access. All is well.

I do have a few questions about package-management.

Once Woody becomes stable, do the packages (even if unchanged) require upgrading?

Where do I go for packages that are not yet part of one of the dists?

If I install software in /usr/local, as I understand it, I bypass Debian package management. If I want to run current software (as in Redhat or Mandrake current) will I need to install a lot of software in usr/local?

Basically I want to know if it's possible to have a system that respects the Debian guidelines, but is more up to date in regards to desktop/application software?

I want to avoid format disks and install again every three months, but rather have a stable, open-ended system that I can adapt to my needs.

I hope I have made clear what I want to do and would like to know about experiences from other people. Please tell me if I am wrong in choosing Debian for my needs. I want to and have time to learn, but would like to have an indication whether my goals are reachable.

Bob