Re: Install Debian for desktop

Hi,

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 02:33:21PM +0200, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> I am using Windows as my main system at the moment. I have tried various
> distributions in the past (Suse, Mandrake, Redhat). The Linux-systems I
> tried could never fully replace my Windows desktop. Unstable application
> software was one reason, the amount of hacking required another.

Linux desktop GUI application is still infancy.  Most console
GNU applications are very solid situation.  I think this will be so for
next few years.

> With some of the major applications reaching 1.x, I believe now is the time
> to give Linux another shot. Besides I don't want to upgrade to WinXP.

Even if you stay with Windows, you do not need to upgrade to XP.
Especially in Windows, "Upgrading" only software is bad idea in general.
If you need new functionality offered by a new M$ software, you go get
new PC pre-installed with it.  New OS or Office tens to consume too
much hardware resources.  If you ever do, do not jump on new something
within first 6 month of release.  They are usually many bugs.

> I know Debian is more difficult to install, but I hope I will benefit by
> learning a lot. The default install for Redhat 7.3 is quite nice, but
> adapting it to my needs is a lot of work. I might as well try Debian and
> only install things I really need to avoid bloat.

Configuring Debian exactly to your taste is not an easy task.  More
difficulty at start for sure than Redhat.  But "UPGRADING" with latest
release is very easy.

> I have downloaded a Woody-iso, and managed to install a minimal system with
> Internet-access. All is well.
>
> I do have a few questions about package-management.

Please read my "Debian Reference" at DDP web page.  If you need PDF, go
to sourceforge site.

   "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
                       http://qref.sourceforge.net

> Once Woody becomes stable, do the packages (even if unchanged) require
> upgrading?

Yes occasionally.  There will be security upgrades and point releases.
These are big must in any distribution.  But ease of upgrade of Debian
rules this process :)

Or if you are stupid enough like to keep chasing latest testing version,
you will continuously upgrade. That is fun.

> Where do I go for packages that are not yet part of one of the dists?

Where original tar ball is offered.  Usually places like
"sourceforge.net" . "www.freshmeat.net" is also good.

But in Debian, most useful software are offered as deb-package.  So you
never do that if you are not developer.

> If I install software in /usr/local, as I understand it, I bypass Debian
> package management.
Yes you can.
> If I want to run current software (as in Redhat or
> Mandrake current) will I need to install a lot of software in usr/local?

If you have already installed functionality system and safely migrate to
Debian, I suggest "chroot" if you know the root password.

1) install Debian in free space
2) mount REDHAT root partition under /mnt/redhat
3) mount other (usr, ...) REDHAT partitions below above.
4) "chroot/mnt/redhat" from root shell.
5) su to user account
Then you have full access to the system.

Seriously, you do not need to use those softwares once you can get them
on Debian.

You may want to copy some of the config files since Debian is still week
on configuration helper script.

> Basically I want to know if it's possible to have a system that respects
> the Debian guidelines, but is more up to date in regards to
> desktop/application software?

Debian motto: "Power to the Sysadmin!"

Debian rarely dictates what can be done.  It allow everything if you
knew how.

> I want to avoid format disks and install again every three months, but
> rather have a stable, open-ended system that I can adapt to my needs.

Debian is always hot upgrade without format.  (Or at least possible to
do.  If you want reiser FS, you nee to format partition.  That is
different issue. )

> I hope I have made clear what I want to do and would like to know about
> experiences from other people. Please tell me if I am wrong in choosing
> Debian for my needs. I want to and have time to learn, but would like to
> have an indication whether my goals are reachable.

I can guarantee there will be steep learning curve.  If your objective is
to have M$ Word, Excel, and Outlook to exchange proprietary file
format files as many non-programmers do, I suggest do not bother Linux
including Debian in general if you already got all of them installed.
Just use current version with bug patches.

If you want GIMP over these situation, I suggest dual boot.  Then you
loose nothing.  If all your needs are filled with Linux, then format
Windows.  Or remove office and install Games :)

Do not jump but migrate with reasons. That's my 2 cents.
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.