[OT] UPS signaling cable

I'm planning to replace my borked el-cheapo UPS. Can somebody recommend
a widely available brand that comes with a Linux-compatible signaling
cable? From my limited web research it appears that not all signaling
cables are the same.

A note from one manufacturer's site, for example, reads in part: "Due to
special signaling requirements necessary for Windows Plug and Play, the
serial cable included with the UPS will not work in the Linux
environment." I'm not sure however if the note is specific to the
manufacturer's binary-only Linux software.

I'm not running a server. But I do leave the machine on for the night to
do stuff like transcoding an mjpeg video capture into 2-pass divx or
compiling xfree86. So I do need the option for an intelligent unattended
shut-down.