Re: Debian on an old system

On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 18:24, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> I was approached today by a guy wanting me to write an inventory
> control/work order system to use in his muffler shop and used car
> dealership. The problem being, the computers that he has available are 2
> 486s and a Pentium Pro. Obviously, he's not going to be getting a
> worthwhile graphical app running on this, but will the systems be able
> to handle something along the lines of an ncurses app with maybe a MySQL
> db for data storage? Would there be a better approach to this? Or is the
> best approach to tell him that he needs to dish our a couple hundred $
> for a couple of old PII 233s or something.

Don't be too hasty!  What are specs on the 486s and the PPro?
Also, how big are the monitors?  15" probably?  Remember: Linux
is very efficient, especially when you roll you own kernel, leaving
out the unnecessary stuff...

The debian-user thread "Small footprint window manager" (which
started either early this month or late last month) discusses
running X on a 386/33 with 16MB RAM.

Be that as it may, I've found that for "accounting apps" text-mode
is best.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net     |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."        |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002,                   |
!   CNN, Larry King Live                                  |