Debian on an old system

I was approached today by a guy wanting me to write an inventory
control/work order system to use in his muffler shop and used car
dealership. The problem being, the computers that he has available are 2
486s and a Pentium Pro. Obviously, he's not going to be getting a
worthwhile graphical app running on this, but will the systems be able
to handle something along the lines of an ncurses app with maybe a MySQL
db for data storage? Would there be a better approach to this? Or is the
best approach to tell him that he needs to dish our a couple hundred $
for a couple of old PII 233s or something.

-Alex