Fonts and XFree86

Can someone give me a hint or a pointer to info on troubleshooting fonts
under xf86?  Running xf 4.1.0.1 under testing.  I have only a few fonts
available: Bitstream Charter, Courier, Courier 10 pitch, three varieties
of Lucidux and Utopia.

There are 1879 files located in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi.  I have 167
ttf fonts in /usr/share/fonts/truetype.

I have xfs-ttf installed and running.  ps aux verifies it's there and
running on port 7110.  I have unix/:7110 in my XF86Config-4 file, as
well as the direct font paths.  xf's log file verifies that the font
path is being set - none of them are being dropped.  freetype, type1,
speedo, etc modules are specified in XF86Config-4 and are shown as being
loaded in xf's log.

I've also installed xfstt, running on port 7101.  Verified it's loading
and in the font path, etc.

I've apt-get installed msttcorefonts, and followed the procedures at
http://www.paulandlesley.org/linux/xfree4_tt.html for the non-packaged
fonts.

No matter what I do, I get the same seven fonts available.  Help?