Re: [SOLVED] Re: Character Set trouble + KDE setup games

At 05:31 PM 5/18/02 -0400, Andy Saxena wrote:
On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 11:16:58PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Then I read the KDE docs, and attempted to reset the default LANG in
> the control center.  However, C was the only choice it would show me.
> Even after all the steps below, and restarting KDE, this is still the
> only choice.
>
> Then I decided to find out how to reset the environment variables in
> KDE.  I ended up adding a file to /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ (sequence #60):
>     export LANG=en_US
>
>     if [ -e $HOME/.bashrc ] ; then
>           . $HOME/.bashrc
>     fi
>
> I've wondered for quite awhile how to get environment variable
> setttings into my KDE session, and this takes care of that.

Hi,

A quick question for you - do you start KDE using KDM?

Yes.

I was having the
same problem, I needed a way to set up some env. vars so that apps
started from the KDE menu would pick them up.

Can you tell me where you got the idea of using /etc/X11/Xsession.d?

A combination of reading the KDE FAQ (which has a question about "why aren't my shell variables set up") and tracing out the relevant files. I think I also looked at what /etc/init.d/kdm did. At any rate, KDE hands things off to the regular X11 stuff, and Xsession executes as user.

If you define .xsession (.Xsession?) in your home directory, it will take over. But that looked a little messy, since it will execute instead of the system one, which performs some necessary steps. Of course, one could then invoke those steps, but this seemed unrobust against changes in the system or config files.

I am also wondering why the command to source .bashrc code is not there
by default. Even if not everybody uses bash, there could be .kdeshrc
file in $HOME that could have a single variable $MYSHELL informing KDE
about the users default shell. Then the code in
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/whateverfile could just execute code to source the
correct env. vars file.

I don't know, but I suppose efficiency may have been a concern too.

Thanks,

Andy

You're welcome!