Re: [SOLVED] Re: Character Set trouble + KDE setup games

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 11:16:58PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Then I read the KDE docs, and attempted to reset the default LANG in
> the control center.  However, C was the only choice it would show me.
> Even after all the steps below, and restarting KDE, this is still the
> only choice.
>
> Then I decided to find out how to reset the environment variables in
> KDE.  I ended up adding a file to /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ (sequence #60):
>     export LANG=en_US
>
>     if [ -e $HOME/.bashrc ] ; then
> 	    . $HOME/.bashrc
>     fi
>
> I've wondered for quite awhile how to get environment variable
> setttings into my KDE session, and this takes care of that.

Hi,

A quick question for you - do you start KDE using KDM? I was having the
same problem, I needed a way to set up some env. vars so that apps
started from the KDE menu would pick them up.

Can you tell me where you got the idea of using /etc/X11/Xsession.d?

I am also wondering why the command to source .bashrc code is not there
by default. Even if not everybody uses bash, there could be .kdeshrc
file in $HOME that could have a single variable $MYSHELL informing KDE
about the users default shell. Then the code in
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/whateverfile could just execute code to source the
correct env. vars file.

Thanks,

Andy