Re: Stopping spam

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:33:00AM -0400, Andy Saxena wrote:
| On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 08:24:18PM -0700, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
| > On Wed, 15 May 2002, Andy Saxena wrote:
| >
| > > Just curious, but does anybody have any thoughts on TMDA?
| >
| > What exactly is TMDA?
|
| Tagged Mail Delivery Agent.
|
| http://www.tmda.sourceforge.net

Don't slap a "www." on every hostname.
    (its http://tmda.sourceforge.net)

I won't email someone who uses TMDA.  If they really want my mail then
they'll accept it.  I'm not "subscribing" to every mailbox out there.
Besides, how hard is it to make a bot to auto-respond to it (and get
the spam whitelisted)?  Any anti-spam efforts must be made in two
places :
    the source -- don't send spam and don't allow your system to be
                  used to send spam
    the destination -- hueristics (or human) based scanning to
                       identify messages

The only perfect solution is a social one in which people stop being
rude (sending spam).

-D

                                     .... what McDonald's is to gourmet cooking