Re: potato or woody or testing or arrgghghg

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 09:37:45PM -0400, Joe Biron wrote:
> Could someone point a newbie to an explanation of the Debian release
> universe?  A friend explained it to me as "Woody is the newest... you
> want Woody".  Well, is Potato then the "stable" and Woody the "testing"?
> My \etc\apt\sources.list is
>
> #deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> #deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
> non-free
> #deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
> #deb http://debian.yorku.ca/debian/non-US stable main contrib non-free
>
> # Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work
> #deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> #deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
>
> # added for Ximian gnome
> deb http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable main
>
> # added for woody update
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib
> non-free
>
> Now, I'm not just a Debian newbie, I'm sort of a Linux intermediabie,
> and as I edited sources.list, I had no clue as to what I was doing, but
> nevertheless, I seem to have the latest versions of Debian (3.0?) and
> GNOME, after hours of playing with apt-get.  So I'm happy for now, but I
> need some background.
>
> Thanks.

Don't use Ximian gnome with woody. Ximian gnome was designed to work
with potato, not woody. Since you are using MS Outlook Express, a
similar analogy in the Windows world would be downloading software for
windows 95 and expecting it to work perfectly with windows 98. It may
not happen in all cases.

Debian has it's own gnome packages, and you should use those. Ximian
gnome is postively disastrous for a Woody system.

Hope this helps,
Andy