Re: Stopping spam

dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> writes:

> I won't email someone who uses TMDA.  If they really want my mail
> then they'll accept it.

:-) The TMDA user might say the opposite -- if your message is
important, surely you'll take the time to reply to a confirmation
request.  It's only a one-time, 2-key sequence process.

Over the last 14 months, I've found this to hold true over 99% of the
time.

> Besides, how hard is it to make a bot to auto-respond to it (and get
> the spam whitelisted)?

Not hard at all.  Luckily this doesn't happen in practice.  The TMDA
FAQ answers this question is more detail.

> Any anti-spam efforts must be made in two places :
>
>     the source -- don't send spam and don't allow your system to be
>                   used to send spam

Agreed.  Unfortunately that's not enough.

>     the destination -- hueristics (or human) based scanning to
>                        identify messages

Too time consuming, and too error-prone.

> The only perfect solution is a social one in which people stop being
> rude (sending spam).

Agreed.

--
(http://tmda.sourceforge.net/)