USB Mouse with Debian 2.2r6

I have downloaded Debian GNU/Linux version 2.2r6 and installation went fine, but it doesn't seem to recognize my usb mouse so X won't startup.  Its the MS Optical Explorer mouse and lights up on power on but goes dark and never comes back on?

Does the kernel that ships with 2.2r6 recognize usb devices.  I am going to try compiling the 2.4.18 kernel and see if that works.

Thanks,
Matthew Reath, CCNA
Application Developer
105 Kent Street
Cable Constructors, Inc.
Iron Mountain, MI 49801
reathm@cableconstructors.com
--

For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build