Re: USB Mouse with Debian 2.2r6

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 10:48:43AM -0500, Matthew Reath, CCNA wrote:

| Does the kernel that ships with 2.2r6 recognize usb devices.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

| I am going to try compiling the 2.4.18 kernel and see if that works.

I recommend installing the prepackaged version.  Woody is stable now,
though it hasn't been "officially" released due to some changes in the
support process.  Here's how you can upgrade :

1)  edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change 'potato' to 'woody'
2)  run "apt-get update"
3)  run "apt-get install apt dpkg apt-utils"
4)  run "apt-get dist-upgrade"
5)  run "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-386"
6)  update your boot loader's (probably lilo) config to boot that
    kernel
    (I recommend installing grub instead and removing lilo, but that's
    just me)
    (the 2.4 kernels in the debian packages use an initrd to boot; you
    must specify that to your bootloader)
7)  add these lines to /etc/modules if they aren't there already
    (some stuff like apm and ide-cd were moved out of the kernel and
    into modules in the 2.4 package)
        apm
        usb
        mousedev
        ide-cd
        ide-floppy
        parport
        parport_pc
        lp

HTH,
-D

--

One man gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.