Re: Shell script anomaly

On  0, Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 22:06, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > I cannot reproduce your symptoms. Whether I type your code in at the
> > shell prompt or run it in a script, it always behaves correctly.
> >
> > You don't say what shell you're using (or what version); my tests were
> > performed using the version of bash 2.05a.0(1)-release from the Sid
> > package bash_2.05a-11.
>
> GNU bash, version 2.05a.0(1)-release (i386-pc-linux-gnu)
>
> as returned by bash --version
>
> I just tried something else and now it's even stranger. If I don't
> specify a shell in the script, it works correctly. However using
> #!/bin/sh or #!/bin/bash results in errors. That's even stranger than
> the exit code being returned incorrectly.

ls -l /bin/sh /bin/bash

what does it say?  Are they the same executable as reported by:

grep $USER /etc/passwd

or whatever passwd you use?

Tom
--
Tom Cook

Never be irreplacable:  If you are irreplacable then you are unpromotable.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au