Shell script anomaly

I'm sure that I might be missing something obvious here, but after a few
hours I still haven't figured it out. I'm writing a script to detect
whether xscreensaver is running and activate it if it is. If not, it
launches the daemon first and then activates. From the command line, the
following returns the correct exit codes:

if ps -A |grep -q "[x]screensaver"; then xscreensaver-command -activate
else xscreensaver& xscreensaver-command -activate; fi

However, if I put that exact line into a shell script and run it, the if
ALWAYS gets evaluated as true. Any ideas?

-Alex