groups not refreshing

I've finally identified the permissions problem I'm having with using
roundup through the web.  The problem is that even though I added the
user 'www-data' to the group 'rsupport' (who can write to the
directory), when I start zope it doesn't think it is in that group.
In fact, if I execute 'whoami' and 'groups' from within zope I get
    whoami : www-data                   (expected, what I want)
    groups : www-data root lpadmin      (huh!?)

The groups the user www-data is in is only 'www-data' and 'rsupport'.
I suspect the problem is somehow related to zope starting as root and
then switching users.  I tried adding root to the rsupport group, but
nothing changed.

Any suggestions on how to make the cgi script obtain the correct group
permissions?

TIA,
-D

PS.  note that the usual logout/login procedure is not possible
     because www-data isn't logged in at all.

--

Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure;
I am clean and without sin"?