Re: Intermittent System Lockup (long) [RESOLVED!}

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:55:20 -0500
"Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> wrote:

> I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me a few pointers on how
> to track down a strange system lockup.

(snip)

I would like to thank everyone for assistance with my intermittent system
lockup.  I believe I've finally traced the problem down to a faulty hard
drive.  It would appear that the new Western Digital drive that I
installed had a few bad sectors.  I tested the drive with WD's own diag
tool and it recommend an RMA of the drive.  While waiting for the advanced
RMA, I decided to try stabilizing the drive as much as possible through
the use of fsck and a non-destructive scanning of all the drive
partitions.  That appears to have done the trick.

The system has now been stable (even with prolific use of Mozilla) now for
a little over a week.  I just got the new drive and moved all data from
the old drive with no problem.  The system is still behaving properly.

Once again, thanks to everyone.

--
Jamin W. Collins