File size limit exceeded

Dear All,
I am running Debian Potato 2.2 r5 on an AMD Athlon single processor
machine with a variety of IDE and SCSI hard drives atteched to it.
No problems so far.
A few day ago, I ran dselect for a system update, and it seems that
Debian automagically installed a few libraries (not quite sure which
ones, but I think glibc and consorts were involved). Everything went
well, until I wanted to format a hard drive. By then mkfs.ext2,
mkfs.ext3, mkfs.reiserfs, and even mkfs.vfat and mkfs.msdos gave me the
error message:
File size limit exceeded
As this error has never occured prior to my recent library update I
presume that there must be a bug in the latter. Any idea how to fix or
avoid it?
Thanks a million.

Chris