Re: console based word processors

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 10:01:18AM -0500, Dan Griswold wrote:
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes (quoting Richard Stevens):
> >   The last line of a right hand page should not end with a hyphen. This
> >   has been a style rule for many years, yet it is amazing that most word
> >   processors do not do this! I just smile when I pick up a book produced
> >   with something like Frame and you immediately find these errors.
>
> I know this is off topic, but I was genuinely interested by this
> quote. I'd like to know a little more about Stevens's assertion. Is it
> widely acknowledged by typograhers?

Haven't a clue, I must say. Googling around, I can find some style
guides of various degrees of authority that agree (or at least say that
the last line of a page should not end with a hyphen), such as
http://www.idrc.ca/books/edit/sg10e.html. I can't speak for how
widespread it is, as my exposure to typography is limited to the troff
world.

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has paper references that
support Stevens.